resolving a second zone!

aperry aperry at terayon.com
Wed Mar 17 01:17:29 UTC 2004

Hello,

I have an internal dns server that provides lookups for my domain, so lets
say "alan.com", now we are adding another zone for active directory, lets
say "ads.alan.com". The dns server for "alan.com" will only serv dns for
that domain, for lookups in "ads.alan.com" I want to tell my dns to go to a
name server on the "ads.alan.com" domain. I am not sure how to set this up.
In my named.conf file, what type of server would i be to that domain? I am
guessing that i will just need to set up a a db file with the SOA being in
the ads.alan.com domain, but would like to clarify that. Also if i need to
do a password lookup on a pdc in the ads.alan.com network for samba
purposes, how would i set up my resolver to do this? would the rosolver on
my unix boxes look like this:

domain alan.com
search alan.com, ads.alan.com
nameserver 192.168.1.1