Need some help with a BIND/network setup

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Mar 11 01:22:08 UTC 2004

In article <c2o74m$2tcp$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Jason <jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com> wrote:

> Kevin Darcy wrote:
>
> > No, I don't see that at all. You asked for the mydomain.com MX record,
> > that's what you got, and the AA bit is not set, so it's not an
> > authoritative response.
>
> Alright. I understand what you are saying. I'm not sure what you mean by
> the AA bit.

The output of "dig" has a bunch of two-letter codes in the "flags:"
section, which correspond to flag bits in the DNS response packet.  If
the server set the Authoritative Answer flag in the response, "aa" will
be included in the flags; if that code doesn't appear, then the server
is not claiming to be authoritative (actually, prior to BIND 9, if a
caching server didn't have the answer in its cache, so it has to recurse
to get it, it would pass through all the flags it got from the
authoritative server, so it would appear to be authoritative on the
first query -- this confusing behavior was fixed in BIND 9).

> > But what does any of this have to do with the internal.mydomain.com
> > zone? Why aren't you querying that?
>
> One thing that was weird, is that, when I turned named on for this
> server, when people would sendmail out through this server to another
> person in @mydomain.com, the delay was quite long. Around 11 seconds to
> over 1 minute. Originally, I thought the problem was with BIND, but im
> starting to wonder if Sendmail was a culprit as well. I'm still trying
> to sort out the pieces here. I brought in some reinforcements today; DNS
> and BIND. :)

Perhaps you should look at sendmail's logs.

> Like I said, originally, I wanted to run BIND on this server to act as a
> DNS server for my internal clients, but also server a private dns zone;
> internal.mydomain.com which would provide DNS for private hosts on our
> intranet.
>
> It was working as it should have. However, my original thought process
> was that, shouldn't this setup just allow my bind server to serve as a
> master for the zone internal.mydomain.com, but anything not in that
> zone, queries would go outside of the server?

Yes.  Since you haven't shown us your named.conf file, there's no way we
can tell whether you configured it appropriately for your goal.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA