Need some help with a BIND/network setup

Jas vangogh at san.rr.com
Thu Mar 11 04:59:11 UTC 2004

Barry Margolin wrote:

> The output of "dig" has a bunch of two-letter codes in the "flags:"
> section, which correspond to flag bits in the DNS response packet.  If
> the server set the Authoritative Answer flag in the response, "aa" will
> be included in the flags; if that code doesn't appear, then the server
> is not claiming to be authoritative (actually, prior to BIND 9, if a
> caching server didn't have the answer in its cache, so it has to recurse
> to get it, it would pass through all the flags it got from the
> authoritative server, so it would appear to be authoritative on the
> first query -- this confusing behavior was fixed in BIND 9).

Ahh, got it now. Played around with dig a bit tonight, but I understand
now about the AA bit. I appreciate you taking the time to fill me in.

> Perhaps you should look at sendmail's logs.

Well, I hammered over BIND and DNS for a better part of a day, and I can
safely say the problem I was having with the delays in email was not
BIND, it was Sendmail. Reason I can say this is that I switched the MTA
on th box, Sendmail for Postfix, fired up postifx and there was zero
delay in messages being sent. I'm not sure why, but it is something i'll

> Yes.  Since you haven't shown us your named.conf file, there's no way we
> can tell whether you configured it appropriately for your goal.

I'll remember to post my information in the future when im having a problem.

Just want to say thanks to everyone who helped me out here. In the end,
I started the thread in the wrong newsgroup. :( I apologize about that.

- Jason