Need some help with a BIND/network setup

Jason jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Wed Mar 10 23:04:27 UTC 2004

Kevin Darcy wrote:

> No, I don't see that at all. You asked for the mydomain.com MX record,
> that's what you got, and the AA bit is not set, so it's not an
> authoritative response.

Alright. I understand what you are saying. I'm not sure what you mean by
the AA bit.

> But what does any of this have to do with the internal.mydomain.com
> zone? Why aren't you querying that?

One thing that was weird, is that, when I turned named on for this
server, when people would sendmail out through this server to another
person in @mydomain.com, the delay was quite long. Around 11 seconds to
over 1 minute. Originally, I thought the problem was with BIND, but im
starting to wonder if Sendmail was a culprit as well. I'm still trying
to sort out the pieces here. I brought in some reinforcements today; DNS
and BIND. :)

> The "hostname" command on most if not all systems, has no relationship
> whatsoever to DNS.

My only conern with the hostname part, was the hostname of the machine
and the entries in the zone files, were different. I eventually found
the answer's on my own, but I was confused on that part. No worries here
now.

> Try to concentrate on the internal.mydomain.com zone, which is the one
> you claim you're having the problem with. Have you even tried to query
> the MX for internal.mydomain.com? Seems like you're getting your domain
> levels mixed up between mydomain.com and internal.mydomain.com.
>
> - Kevin

Like I said, originally, I wanted to run BIND on this server to act as a
DNS server for my internal clients, but also server a private dns zone;
internal.mydomain.com which would provide DNS for private hosts on our
intranet.

It was working as it should have. However, my original thought process
was that, shouldn't this setup just allow my bind server to serve as a
master for the zone internal.mydomain.com, but anything not in that
zone, queries would go outside of the server?

Like I said, our ISP is in control of our domain, as far as the NS, pop,
smtp, mail entries. I was just trying to add a private DNS server to our
intranet, but also take advantage of our ISP's DNS servers as well.
Like I said, im still young to DNS and BIND.

I appreciate the feedback and help Kevin.

- Jas