CNAME and other data -vs- could not find NS and/or SOA records

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Thu Jun 3 08:51:33 UTC 2004

In article <c9len1$84a$1 at sf1.isc.org>, <phil-news-nospam at ipal.net>
wrote:

> |    Phil> I have a domain (several of them, actually) in which I need
> |    Phil> to CNAME them to another domain (which is under someone
> |    Phil> else's authority).
> |
> | The DNS does not allow domains to be CNAMEd, to use your terminology.
> | I believe you've been told this already.
>
> But it has been done before.  Obviously it was in violation of the RFC,
> but when it was done, it had the desired (and I think quite obvious)
> effect.

When I tried this with old versions of BIND years ago it didn't work.
I put in some combination like this:

olddomain       IN      CNAME   newdomain

and then in another zone

$ORIGIN newdomain
@               IN      SOA     etc...
@               IN      NS      etc...

newhost         IN      A       w.x.y.z

Doing SOA or NS lookups for olddomain worked OK, returning the CNAME
and the appropriate newdomain records.  Trying to lookup
newhost.oldomain failed, though I can't remember the exact way it
failed.

I may have misunderstood, but isn't what you're looking for the DNAME
record?

Sam