Delegation of Authority/ Parenting

'Stephane Bortzmeyer' bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Jun 2 09:27:56 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 11:18:31AM +0200,
 Mokwena Motseto <MotsetM at sapo.co.za> wrote
 a message of 152 lines which said:

> Our company uses version 4.9 for some reason on AIX

IMHO, a very bad idea for the reasons I outlined.

> our domain is sapo.co.za
> the child domain is content.sapo.co.za
>
> the name of the machine that will host the child domain currently is
> midrandcr.sapo.co.za
>
> What entries do i have to make to enable this delegation on the parent
> server

In the zone file of sapo.co.za:

content   IN    NS   midrandcr

should be enough (the name server is not in the delegated zone).

BTW, sapo.co.za is badly delegated itself:

~ % check_soa sapo.co.za
sangoma.saix.net has serial number 2004050301
apollo.is.co.za is not authoritative for sapo.co.za
igubu.saix.net has serial number 2004050301
dns1.webcreations.co.za is not authoritative for sapo.co.za
gatekeeperx.sapo.co.za has serial number 2004050301
dnscache2.is.co.za is not authoritative for sapo.co.za
dnscache1.is.co.za is not authoritative for sapo.co.za