domain name entries in a zone

David Botham DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com
Wed Jun 2 11:28:25 UTC 2004

bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 05/31/2004 10:53:43 AM:
> In article <c981ne$okj$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Simon Waters
> <Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > But A records for the domain are common, the "www" was a silly
convention.

> I beg to differ.  Perhaps the WWW will remain the One True Net App and

The "www" that that is referenced as being silly does not refer to Web
Servers (httpd).  It refers to the common practice of using www as a
prefix for a domain name to indicate that the service associated with the
domain name is a web server.  Obviously you could have a web server with a
domain name of lskdjflkdsjlkfs.foo.com.  The domain name and the service
have *nothing* to do with each other.  BTW, I am not say I agree or
disagree with the opinion of the original poster, however, I thought that
making the destinction might be important.

hth,

Dave...