zone files for subdomains...

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Wed Sep 24 17:42:26 UTC 2003

In article <bk4mbd$2a6u$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Jim Reid  <jim at rfc1035.com> wrote:
>True, but unless someone knows in advance what zones that server has,
>there is no way of finding such an "unlinked" zone. It can't be found
>by traversing a chain of NS records from the root. So that zone will
>be like bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster: it might "exist" but
>nobody's been able to find it. Debating the existence of these
>unlinked zones is a bit like asking if a tree makes a sound when
>it falls down if nobody is there to hear it.

Aren't we talking about a server that's authoritative for both domain.com
and sub.domain.com?  The delegation from COM will point to this server, and
when you ask it for something in sub.domain.com it will answer, since it's
authoritative for the subdomain.  The lack of delegation NS records in the
domain.com zone will never be noticed.

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA