zone files for subdomains...

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Sep 24 18:34:14 UTC 2003

    >> True, but unless someone knows in advance what zones that
    >> server has, there is no way of finding such an "unlinked"
    >> zone. It can't be found by traversing a chain of NS records
    >> from the root. So that zone will be like bigfoot or the Loch
    >> Ness Monster: it might "exist" but nobody's been able to find
    >> it. Debating the existence of these unlinked zones is a bit
    >> like asking if a tree makes a sound when it falls down if
    >> nobody is there to hear it.

    Barry> Aren't we talking about a server that's authoritative for
    Barry> both domain.com and sub.domain.com?

No, I don't believe so. IIRC the OP said that this was how things used
to be set up. His/her clueless ISP didn't do the delegation properly.
They got away with that because of an implementation fluke. Then the
delegated zone got moved and promptly disappeared from the DNS because
it had a broken delegation, prokoving the posting to bind-users.