delegating a subdomain in Windows (NS Records)

Walt Howard howard at rumba.ee.ualberta.ca
Sat Nov 1 20:51:15 UTC 2003

In article <bnv353$n1b$1 at sf1.isc.org>,  <usenet at blst.org> wrote:
>Hi Folks,
>
>I know this is a BIND group, but I'd rather deal with a BIND guru
>with some knowledge of Windows than a Windows person with some
>knowledge of BIND.  (Plus, I've posted to a Windows newsgroup, but
>am not expecting anything.)
>
>In a nutshell, in BIND, I do this:
>
>In the zonefile for example.com, add these entries:
>
>foo   IN      NS      ns.our_nameserver.com
>foo   IN      NS      ns2.our_nameserver.com

I assume you actually put the trailing periods on the NS names.

>This creates a subdomain "foo.example.com" with nameservice delegated
>to our nameservers, ns.our_nameserver.com & ns2.  Isn't that great?
>Not even an IP address dependency.
>
>For our service, we require that clients set this up so that we can
>take full control of just that subdomain.  By delegating nameservice
>responsibilities, this allows us to change anything and everything
>related to the subdomain without having to involve the client.
>
>The problem is, I haven't found a single person who can tell me how
>to do this in Windows.  Mind you, these are not A records or MX
>entries or CNAMEs - they're NS records, and they specifically do
>_not_ require IP addresses.

There are a few details missing here, so I'll assume that your
customers are running Windows DNS servers and you just want to
push specific NS records into their zonefiles.  I'll also assume
they are running some variant of Windows NT 5 (2000, XP, 2003).

On WinServer2003, the Windows DNS server keeps its zonefile info in
C:\windows\system32\config\netlogon.dns
which is a text file in RFC 1035 format.  It can be edited with
Notepad.  I expect (but do not have a way to check) that the other
versions of WinNT5 use a similar location and filename.
--
Walt Howard                         /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
InterNet: whoward at ieee.org          \ /  No HTML in mail or news!