delegating a subdomain in Windows (NS Records)

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Mon Nov 3 15:25:49 UTC 2003

usenet at blst.org wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>
>I know this is a BIND group, but I'd rather deal with a BIND guru
>with some knowledge of Windows than a Windows person with some
>knowledge of BIND.  (Plus, I've posted to a Windows newsgroup, but
>am not expecting anything.)
>
>In a nutshell, in BIND, I do this:
>
>In the zonefile for example.com, add these entries:
>
>foo   IN      NS      ns.our_nameserver.com
>foo   IN      NS      ns2.our_nameserver.com
>
>This creates a subdomain "foo.example.com" with nameservice delegated
>to our nameservers, ns.our_nameserver.com & ns2.  Isn't that great?
>Not even an IP address dependency.
>
>For our service, we require that clients set this up so that we can
>take full control of just that subdomain.  By delegating nameservice
>responsibilities, this allows us to change anything and everything
>related to the subdomain without having to involve the client.
>
>The problem is, I haven't found a single person who can tell me how
>to do this in Windows.  Mind you, these are not A records or MX
>entries or CNAMEs - they're NS records, and they specifically do
>_not_ require IP addresses.
>
>Can anyone tell me how to do this in Windows, or verify that it
>just cannot be done?  You do not know how much I will appreciate
>getting the answer to this years-old question.

You did not specify which Windows OS you are running.  For W2k, use
the DNS GUI.  Right-click on the zone in question.  In the resulting
menu box select "New delegation..." and follow the instructions in the
New Delegation Wizard.  I assume that this will do what you want;
I did not try it on my production W2k DNS Server, as I have no test
zones there with which to test.
Barry S. Finkel
Computing and Instrumentation Solutions Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov