I am sure this has been asked before, if so, sorry.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jan 15 17:40:53 UTC 2003

Someone Else wrote:

>Ok, I have spent the past 4 hours trying to find out how to do this. My
>failure in finding the information is either because I don't know the exact
>term to search for, or it probably can't be done, so please put me out of my
>misery either way :-)
>
>Ok, we are adding a third name server to our network. This brings a few
>problems with it:
>
>1) How do we gracefully transfer the 300+ zone entries to this new server
>(can we automate this, are there tools for this?)
>2) As our software only adds new zone entries to our two existing servers,
>is there a way of adding new zone information to the third server
>automatically?
>3) The new server is "off site" and co-located, so if there is/are a
>solution(s) can this be done securely??
>
>We did set-up notification but, as you are probably all aware, this only
>works for zones already created on the slave server.

I have some experimental "autoslaving" code which automatically creates
zones on a slave server upon receipt of a signed-and-verified NOTIFY
from a designated master server. However, the code has problems -- it
doesn't run at all in multithreaded mode, for example. I'm not
comfortable releasing it.

In the absence of something like that, you could perhaps periodically
scp or rsync-over-ssh an "include" file consisting of slave-zone
definitions.

                                        - Kevin