Are matching "A" records required for "NS" servers if parent has glue records ?

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Sep 25 04:47:44 UTC 2002

> Are matching "A" records required for "NS" servers if parent has glue
> records ?

	Yes.  Glue records are copies of those in the child zone.  You
	can't have a copy without a original.  This applies for NS, A and
	AAAA records.

> I've looked around for an answer to this and found much information, but I
> am still unclear on some details.  If anyone has a few moments, I hope you
> can shed further light on this for me.  (Sorry for the long message).
>
> If a given domain has say two authoritative nameservers, and two "NS"
> records on each of them...  and the same two "NS" records exist on the
> gtld-servers...  and gtld-servers have two "A" glue records...  but the two
> authoritative name servers do not have "A" records for their "NS"
> records...  will this cause resolution problems ?  Below are example values
> to help explain.

	Yes this will cause problems.

> My other part of the question is, will the "A" glue records from gtld-
> servers be cached or will the auth servers be queried for nameserver "A"
> records (which would give NXDOMAIN, since "A" records are missing from auth
> servers) and supercede the "A" glue records that gtld-servers had provided
> causing future queries to fail (since the NXDOMAIN would be cached as a
> negative answer) ?  ...and is this behavior/respose standardized and/or
> does it vary with different resolvers ?

	It all depends on what is being asked when.  Note nameservers will
	also look for AAAA and A6 records.  The NXDOMAIN returned will wipe
	out any cached A records.

> **(Given values are not "real", but only for example.
> domain.net is not actually missing local "A" records in the real world)
> ----
>     [a.gtld-servers.net]
>     domain.net    NS    ns1.domain.net
>     domain.net    NS    ns2.domain.net
>     domain.net    A     123.123.123.1
>     domain.net    A     123.123.123.2
>
>     [ns1.domain.net, ns2.domain.net]
>     domain.net    NS    ns1.domain.net
>     domain.net    NS    ns2.domain.net
>     (missing "A" records for ns1 & ns2)
> ----
>
> My real world example that spawned this question is a little more complex.
> We have 30+ vanilla caching v8 BIND servers at my job and nearly half of
> them won't resolve ohd.com.
> This domain has three "NS" records with glue records on gtld-servers.
> Of their three auth servers, two have all 3 "A" records to match the "NS"
> records, but one has no matching "A" records for any of the nameservers.
> Can this create intermittent resolution, even though glue records are still
> present for all three nameservers on the gtld-servers ?

	Yes.

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org