Help with TTL values

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Sep 25 00:06:43 UTC 2002

Franky333 wrote:

> Hiya: I=B4m trying to check why after set up the new nameservers, my do=
mains
> stopped working. I check the "Time to look up ns1.apihost.com A record"=
 and
> find the results as below
> Looks right the TTL Value? Where is the fault?
> Who should I contact to resolve the problem? Its something wrong with t=
he
> setup in the server or is more likely to be related to the company I us=
ed to
> register the nameserver?.
>
> Domain                            Type          Class             TTL
> Answer
> ns1.xxxxxxxx.com.                A                IN           172800
> 111.11.111.145
> xxxxxxx.com.                       NS              IN           172800
> ns1.xxxxxxxx.com.
> xxxxxxxx.com.                     NS               IN           172800
> NS2.xxxxxxxx.com.
> ns1.xxxxxxxx.com.               A                 IN           172800
> 111.11.111.145
> NS2.xxxxxxxx.com.             A                 IN           172800
> 111.11.111.146
>
> *Im hiding both the domain name and the IP

TTL is something you set up in your own zonefile. If you were about to
re-address some nameservers, it probably would have been a good idea to l=
ower
their TTL values prior to the move in order to smooth the transition. Eve=
better, don't move all of the nameservers for a given zone at the same ti=
me
(e.g. get your ISP to be a delegated slave throughout the transition). Th=
at
way, your zone data is always available.

- Kevin