resolver values

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Wed May 1 08:04:49 UTC 2002

Georgeson, Evan [NCSUS Non J&J] <EGeorges at ncsus.jnj.com> wrote:

> If someone could point me to an answer to this long query I'd be very
> grateful...

> I'm looking for the rules and max. values that are contained in the
> resolv.conf file on both a Solaris 2.6 (BIND 8.2.5)and HPUX 10.20 (BIND
> 4.9.7)system. More specifically, I'm pretty sure you can only have up to 3
> nameserver entries but I don't seem to have a firm value for the number of
> entries you can have in the search line. The resolver man pages weren't
> helpful. Thanks in advance.

The source is your resource :-)

man resolv.conf on a recent bsd system will show :
" nameserver  Internet address (in dot notation) of a name server that the
  resolver should query.  Up to MAXNS (currently 3) name
  servers may be listed, one per keyword.  If there are multi-"

The keyword "MAXNS" is defined in resolv.conf, which is part of
the bind distribution.

--
Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)