resolver values

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed May 1 01:51:16 UTC 2002

I'm not sure whether MAXNS applies to resolvers or not; it might only be
used in named itself. Remember that BIND, the package, comprises a
nameserver, a resolver library, and a bunch of other utilities. Some of
these #include-file parameters may only apply to one part or another,
but not all of them.

Can you recompile with a bigger limit? Probably. But then in order for
this to be effective, you'd have to replace your system resolver with
the recompiled one. Do you really want to do that? You could pretty much
kiss vendor support goodbye if you do such a thing, since neither Sun
nor HP will probably support any resolver issue you have, when their
libraries have been replaced with recompiled ones.

Before taking such a radical step, I'd verify whether the currently
compiled-in limit (which may have been altered by your vendor, relative
to the BIND-distribution default) is sufficient for your needs. Put a
bunch of bogus nameservers in resolv.conf, followed by a good one, and
see if your application(s) can still resolve names. The proof is in the
pudding.

- Kevin