Forwarders and MX records.......

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Mar 20 18:15:32 UTC 2002

In article <a7ahme$k28 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Madden, Jay F <Jay.Madden at Relizon.com> wrote:
>I have a zone for which I am not authoritative...We have an internal
>connection to the network that is authoritative.....Here is the entry in my
>named.conf......
>
>zone "xyz.com" {
> type          forward ;
>                 forward only ;
>                 forwarders      { x.x.x.x; x.x.x.x; } ;
>} ;
>

>I was wondering if there is a way to force the MX record to something other
>than what comes back from the server specified here. The situation is that
>we are two companies (which are splitting) which share internal lookups via
>forwarders (above) but I want to force their mail out to their internet
>mailer instead of their inside mail server which is what comes back from the
>MX record in their internal zone. So the question is can I force their MX
>record to point at their internet mail server.........Any ideas and opinions
>are appreciated.........Another note is that these companies are migrating
>apart and we will eventually no longer be connected, thus the desire to
>begin routing the email out the internet connection....TIA

I don't think there's any way for you to override the MX record in DNS.

However, many mailers allow you to configure static forwarding for specific
domains, so you should be able to tell your mail server to send mail for
xyz.com to their Internet mailer instead of following the MX record.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA