Forwarders and MX records.......

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 20 22:54:36 UTC 2002

Barry Margolin wrote:

> I don't think there's any way for you to override the MX record in DNS.
>
> However, many mailers allow you to configure static forwarding for specific
> domains, so you should be able to tell your mail server to send mail for
> xyz.com to their Internet mailer instead of following the MX record.

Good idea, and clean to implement.....

If you have a lot of mailers.... You could override the hostname
pointed to by the MX record....

example.com. MX 10 mail.internal.example.com.

You could host a zone called "mail.internal.example.com" put an
A record in.

Obviously this depends on whether you need to reach the host for
other things, it isn't clean, or pretty, and should be replaced
as soon as possible with a solution like Barry's.