Getting different IP's from same DNS server on different machines

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Jan 22 01:28:25 UTC 2002

In article <a2i9c9$q9v at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Nate Campi  <nate at wired.com> wrote:
>As for you Brad, your PCs each had a different IP for a domain name with
>different IPs because BIND (normally) round-robins the IPs for a name
>with multiple A records. It was simply luck of the draw which IP your
>PCs ended up getting. It's not windoze-version dependent, it would/could
>have happened to any two DNS clients, regardless of the OS.

Except that one of the addresses he listed is in the A records that gets
returned from the authoritative DNS server, but the other one *isn't*.  If
he did both lookups from the same LAN within a few minutes of each other, I
don't think Akamai's DNS load balancing should have caused that other
address to show up.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA