Getting different IP's from same DNS server on different machines

Nate Campi nate at wired.com
Tue Jan 22 01:53:23 UTC 2002

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 01:28:25AM +0000, Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <a2i9c9$q9v at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Nate Campi  <nate at wired.com> wrote:
> >As for you Brad, your PCs each had a different IP for a domain name with
> >different IPs because BIND (normally) round-robins the IPs for a name
> >with multiple A records. It was simply luck of the draw which IP your
> >PCs ended up getting. It's not windoze-version dependent, it would/could
> >have happened to any two DNS clients, regardless of the OS.
>
> Except that one of the addresses he listed is in the A records that gets
> returned from the authoritative DNS server, but the other one *isn't*.  If
> he did both lookups from the same LAN within a few minutes of each other, I
> don't think Akamai's DNS load balancing should have caused that other
> address to show up.

Thanks for pointing that out, I missed the bad IP address in my haste.

You should know, though, that its not necessarily the case the IPs
returned won't change from one minute to the next in akadns, from the
same location. The whole point of using the akadns is that the IPs
can change from one moment to the next, based on changing network and
web cluster conditions. Geo-location is only part of it. I've
implemented their service for a couple of our sites in recent weeks.

You are probably still correct, though, since I can't even connect to
port 80 of that bad IP and get some kind of HTTP response. I've even
connected to various machines I admin across the country to try and coax
that IP out of the akadns severs, but to no avail. Since no HTTP is
served from that IP, it would obviously be a bad record, an error, but I
had hoped to reproduce Brad's problem.

Seems like bad akadns is popping up a lot in here today, I wonder if they
(Akamai) monitor this group.
--
Nate Campi | Terra Lycos DNS | WiReD UNIX Operations

One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas
I'll never know.  - Groucho Marx