Getting different IP's from same DNS server on different machines

Nate Campi nate at wired.com
Mon Jan 21 23:44:30 UTC 2002

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 10:01:25PM +0000, Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <a2hr5j$obq at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
> Brad White  <bwhite118 at homenospam.com> wrote:

<snip>

> >each one.  For example www.microsoft.com comes back as 207.46.130.14 on the
> >system that doesn't work right but as 207.46.197.102 on the machine that
> >does. www.sportsline.com comes back as 206.79.229.17 on the bad and as
> >216.34.40.200 on the good.  When I checked ipconfig /all on each they both
> >show the same DNS servers.  Anyone have any ideas why I would be getting
> >two different IP addresses on two different computers hooked up to the same
> >connection?
>
> www.microsoft.com has several addresses:

<snip>

> Since this seems to be going through Akamai's server load-balancing system,
> the addresses can probably change over time.  Many large web sites make use
> of systems like this.

The addresses actually change depend on where in the world you are when
you ask for the RR, the state of the different networks serving the
different clusters for the web site, and sometimes even the actual load
of the web site. Akamai's DNS load balancing is pretty cool technology.

But anyways this is a BIND list, I'll get back on topic ;)

As for you Brad, your PCs each had a different IP for a domain name with
different IPs because BIND (normally) round-robins the IPs for a name
with multiple A records. It was simply luck of the draw which IP your
PCs ended up getting. It's not windoze-version dependent, it would/could
have happened to any two DNS clients, regardless of the OS.
--
Nate Campi | Terra Lycos DNS | WiReD UNIX Operations

Remember: if brute force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.