QIP?

Scott S. Bertilson scott at nts.umn.edu
Fri Jan 18 16:04:43 UTC 2002

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 12:06:40PM -0800, Ed Franks wrote:

> Our DNS was moved from BIND to a product referred to as "QIP".
> A websearch yields Lucent's VitalQIP as a DNS, DHCP, etc. and
> much hyperbole from the vendor.
>
> What is the opinion of the sages in this ng of this product?  How
> does it compare with BIND?

  We have been running QIP for over 2 years now.  It has
given us very effective mechanisms to allow departmental
network administrators to make changes to the parts of
our DNS which they manage.
  There is one fundamental design conflict with BIND
however: if you are allowing dynamic DNS updates, BIND
and QIP each maintain a repository of DNS information
which they consider canonical.  There currently exists
no mechanism by which they can be brought into sync
except brute force (QIP generates flat files and BIND
is forced to load them on the assumption that QIP is
the correct).  This brute force approach has some
problems however because BIND believes it owns the
flat files when dynamic updates are being performed
and under some circumstances it will overwrite the
zone file when told to reload, tossing the files
generated by QIP.  It seems to me that this is only
likely to get to be a bigger problem as integration
with Win2k/AD brings more dynamic updates.
				Scott