Bind 9.2 and Active Directory... whats the right way ?

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Wed Feb 13 15:20:58 UTC 2002

Berger Harald <hotline at harryworld.dyndns.org> wrote:

>im testing Bind 9.2 with W2k-Active Directory... after hours of work
>the bind server runs and the W2k server works also.
>
>a look at the zone file of the domain shows......
>
>$origin.
>test.com        in SOA ........
>                (......
>                ....)
>                NS ns1.test.com.
>
>         .... that the w2k server has created an A record:
>
>$TTL 600        ; 10 minutes
>                A       172.16.10.10
>
>my question:
>
>if i take a real domainname (for internal and maybe also for
>external use) -> is it a good idea to create the
>w2k domain at the top or
>is it better to create a subdomain (ex:  win.test.com)
>to put all the server and clients into the subdomain.

It depends.  Are you going to allow W2k DDNS?  If so, then you should
move the dynamic zones to a MS W2k DNS server, because only that server
can handle GSS-API TSIG/TKEY secure DDNS updates.  If you are not
going to allow DDNS, then I would suggest delegating the four "_"
zones

     _msdcs
     _sites
     _tcp
     _udp

to a MS W2k DNS server and leaving your static zones on a BIND server.

As for the "A" record

     $TTL 600        ; 10 minutes
                     A       172.16.10.10

it is explained in MS articles Q258213 and Q246804.  The netlogon
process will attempt to register/re-register it, but if you add the
record manually into a static zone, you can ignore the DDNS failures
on your BIND server.

Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov