problems with the resolving some domain names

Michael Kjorling michael at kjorling.com
Wed Feb 13 11:46:13 UTC 2002

Your observation is correct. ns0.oleane.net and ns1.oleane.net do not
have the zone loaded.

Check the configuration on those servers to ensure that they include
zone statements like:

	zone "fia.com" {
		type slave;
		file "fia.com.slave";
		masters { 194.2.70.1; }; /* ns.fra.fr */
	};

Michael Kjörling

On Feb 13 2002 13:36 +0100, Lode Rammelaere wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have only basic understanding of dns. So I need some help on the
> following issue.
> We have problems with the resolving some domain names. ( for example
> fia.com ).
> There are three nameservers that should have authoritative data for the
> fia.com zone:
> ns0.oleane.net
> ns1.oleane.net
> ns.fra.fr
> But when I query these servers for fia.com only ns.fra.fr has an
> authoritative response.
> The first two servers have a strange answer:
>
> <<>> DiG 2.1 <<>> @NS0.oleane.net fia.com A
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; res options: init recurs defnam dnsrch
> ;; got answer:
> ;; flags: qr rd; Ques: 1, Ans: 0, Auth: 13, Addit: 13
> ;; QUESTIONS:
> ;; fia.com, type = A, class = IN
>
> ;; AUTHORITY RECORDS:
>
>  AUTHORITY RECORDS:
> com. 114760 NS A.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.
> /snipped com ns and glue records/
>
> I do not understand this result, it seems that only the ns.fra.fr
> resolves
> the correctly the domain fia.com and the other two servers are lame. Do
> I see this right our is there an other problem ? My external dns server
> (NT4 SP5) does not handles this problem right. I think he never tries
> all authoritative nameservers in the list.
>
> Any & all assistance would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Lode Rammelaere

- --
Michael Kjörling  --  Programmer/Network administrator  ^..^
Internet: michael at kjorling.com -- FidoNet: 2:204/254.4   \/
PGP: 95f1 074d 336d f8f0 f297 6a5b 2aa3 7bfd 8a70 e33e

``And indeed people sometimes speak of man's "bestial" cruelty, but
this is very unfair and insulting to the beasts: a beast can never be
so cruel as a man, so ingeniously, so artistically cruel.''
(Ivan Karamazov, in Dostoyevsky's 'The Brothers Karamazov')

*** Thinking about sending me spam? Take a close look at
*** http://michael.kjorling.com/spam/ before doing so.