Expert Required for this one , IP web problem!! Please Help !! Urgent

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Feb 13 19:50:15 UTC 2002

In article <a4e8rg$hu7 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
garrethkelly <garrethkelly at hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have a web address say www.aaa.com and i want to transfer it to
>www.bbb.com the www.bbb.com address . What i did was i pinged the ip
>address www.aaa.com and asked my isp for www.aaa.com to transfer it to
>www.bbb.com at the ip address that was returned .
>
>The problem is that the ip address is only the server and not my
>www.bbb.com account on the server . I asked the bbb provider and they
>said to ask the aaa to use frames forwarding (which i don't have a
>clue  about) . The aaa doesn't use frames forwarding it uses an apache
>configuration and told me it had to point to a specific ip address .
>
>Next i asked a friend of mine who know alot about this area and he
>told me to tell the isp for www.aaa.com to change the "A" Name to a
>"CName" and i did , this didn't work .
>
>Questions .
>
>1. There is an "A" name now that points to the wrong address and a
>"CName" which points to the correct address , is it possible to remove
>the "A" name altogether and leave the "CName" ? I don't know much
>about this so it may be a stupid question !

You can't have both entries.  Either a name is an alias (that's what CNAME
is) or it has its own data.

>2. Is there any other solution to this problem ?

Either have the web provider add www.aaa.com to the virtual host
configuration of www.bbb.com.  Or change the DNS entry to point back to the
old address, and have that machine send an HTTP Redirect to www.bbb.com.
Apache should be able to do this (I don't know much about Apache, but my
guess is it's something like mod_redirect).

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA