A records or CNAME??

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 30 08:46:38 UTC 2002

James Gray wrote:

> I'll look into that but I think we're on the right track.  Basically, what
> would be the drawbacks of doing the changes to CNAME's (even if we just do
> it, test it, and rule it out?).

Kevin is right - what software do you believe does this ? As if
it is doing what you think it is broken, and everyone here is
dead interested to know about software that doesn't do DNS
lookups correctly as we make our living from knowing about them!

You can change it to CNAMEs, no problem, for as long as you know
how to use CNAMEs, they are pretty simple but can't be used
everywhere you use A records.

For example you can't use the mail CNAME in the MX record, you'd
have to use the "ns2" (or canonical name) in the MX record. The
"mail" CNAME might still be useful for say POP3 clients, but I'm
guessing that is the kind of fiddly problem you want to avoid.

My guess is, if the software is as broke as you say then this
might not fix things anyway.

More likely your reverse lookup isn't working properly, as if
the software is that broke it wouldn't get good market share or
would have a patch, but without knowing the domain name it is
kind of hard to help.