A records or CNAME??

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Apr 30 20:20:17 UTC 2002

CNAMEs are a _little_ inefficient, in that they make response packets a little
larger. But generally, I'm not as down on CNAMEs as some people here, and I use
them extensively. Don't chain CNAMEs though (i.e. point CNAMEs at CNAMEs);
that's bad news. And don't try to use CNAMEs as the targets of other records,
e.g. NS or MX targets, because that's illegal.

- Kevin