problems with a certain domain

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Thu Apr 18 14:51:25 UTC 2002

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 10:15:23AM -0400, Chapman, Matt wrote:

> When I do a dig from my 9.1.3 box I get the following for the domain:
>
> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> cityoforlando.net.      170371  IN      NS
> GATEKEEPER.CI.ORLANDO.FL.US.
> cityoforlando.net.      170371  IN      NS      NS1.CI.ORLANDO.FL.US.
>
> When I do it from another server I own that is on a totally different
> network I get the correct entries:
>
> cityoforlando.net.      37459   IN      NS beautiful.ci.orlando.fl.us.
>
> I apologize for the length of this message.  But I also want to note
> that running dlint against the domain cityoforlando.net reports a bunch
> of errors.  I can query the MX record from the last server but not the
> first and that is the biggest issue for me.  Mail is not working to this
> domain.  As far as I can tell all other domains are fine.  Is 9.1.x more
> strict in it's dealings with other DNS servers?  Any ideas would be
> great.

Are you responsible for this domain? The first thing that needs to be
corrected is that the two servers to which this domain is delegated from
gtld-servers.net show the same serial number, but return different data.
Either they're being updated individually and the administrator changed
the data on one and not the other, or the administrator updated the zone
file and failed to increment the zone serial number.

The second thing that needs to be addressed is the mismatch between what
you say is the "correct" NS record and the delegation from the .net
servers.

There may be other issues with this zone, but correcting those two
errors will get you on the right path.

-Pete
--
"religious fanatics are not part of my desired user base."
- djb at cr.yp.to