All nameservers unresponsive when master is down

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Wed Apr 10 13:54:18 UTC 2002

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 02:25:31PM +0100, Sam Pointer wrote:

> Right, there's a bit of an admission to do here.
>
> ns3 and ns4 are routable from the internet, there are just not *pingable" -
> if you do a `dig @ns3.hpdsc.com` you should get a valid answer. This is due
> to a routing "feature" of our site which is beyond my direct control.

Well, you may *think* this is the case, but have you actually verified
it from outside your network? They look pretty unresponsive to me:

ocelot[~]$ dig @ns4.hpdsc.com hpdsc.com ns

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @ns4.hpdsc.com hpdsc.com ns
; (1 server found)
;; res_nsend to server ns4.hpdsc.com  195.167.246.4: Operation timed out
ocelot[~]$ dig @ns3.hpdsc.com hpdsc.com ns

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @ns3.hpdsc.com hpdsc.com ns
; (1 server found)
;; res_nsend to server ns3.hpdsc.com  195.167.246.3: Operation timed out
ocelot[~]$

I'm thinking your time would be well-spent talkint to your provider or
examining any packet filtering rules that you may have in place. Your
second machine is not responding to queries.

-Pete
--
"religious fanatics are not part of my desired user base."
- djb at cr.yp.to