All nameservers unresponsive when master is down

Sam Pointer sam.pointer at hpdsoftware.com
Wed Apr 10 13:25:31 UTC 2002

Right, there's a bit of an admission to do here.

ns3 and ns4 are routable from the internet, there are just not *pingable" -
if you do a `dig @ns3.hpdsc.com` you should get a valid answer. This is due
to a routing "feature" of our site which is beyond my direct control.

The reason for having 4 "logcial" nameservers is that my registrar would not
permit me to enter 2 IP addresses for any given nameserver. What I wanted to
do originally was to have:

hpdsc.com.	NS	ns1.hpdsc.com.
hpdsc.com.	NS	ns2.hpdsc.com.
ns1.hpdsc.com.	IN A	212.158.99.194
			IN A 	195.167.246.3

ns2.hpdsc.com.	IN A	212.158.99.195
			IN A	195.167.246.4

I understand that this is not allowed.

What are you thoughs on me reducing the number of presented nameservers to
2, ns1 and ns2 and setting this up thus:

hpdsc.com.	NS	ns1.hpdsc.com.
hpdsc.com.	NS	ns2.hpdsc.com.

ns1.hpdsc.com	IN A	212.158.99.194
ns2.hpdsc.com	IN A 	195.167.246.4

and have one nameserver per leased line in my case, which should surely mean
that if the leased line serving the "212 network" was to go down, ns2 would
be avaliable to answer queries.