Win2k caches ip addr. after name resolution from dns?

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Tue Sep 25 06:55:43 UTC 2001

* Nate Campi <nate at wired.com> said, on [010924 23:30]:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 11:21:00PM -0700, Pete Ehlke wrote:
> >
> > Well, yes and no. IE 5 seems to do a fairly decent job with dns response
> > caching, but win2k itself, at the OS level, is almost irretrievably
> > broken in this respect. It implements a local resolver cache, similar to
> > Sun's nscd, that cannot be turned off and which seems to, at the very
>
> I turn this off and on with 'net stop dnscache' and 'net start dnscache'
> on win2k all the time. Have you tried that?

Ahhh, I was unaware of that. I'd been relying on this documentation from
Microsoft (which I found again minutes after posting, *sigh* ), which
describes the w2k resolver cache's affect on round robin records, and
outlines a registry hack to get around it:

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q245437

No mention of 'net stop dnscache' there. Thanks a lot, Microsoft.

-Pete