Win2k caches ip addr. after name resolution from dns?

Andris Kalnozols andris at hpl.hp.com
Tue Sep 25 07:54:43 UTC 2001

> * Nate Campi <nate at wired.com> said, on [010924 23:30]:
> > On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 11:21:00PM -0700, Pete Ehlke wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, yes and no. IE 5 seems to do a fairly decent job with dns response
> > > caching, but win2k itself, at the OS level, is almost irretrievably
> > > broken in this respect. It implements a local resolver cache, similar to
> > > Sun's nscd, that cannot be turned off and which seems to, at the very
> >
> > I turn this off and on with 'net stop dnscache' and 'net start dnscache'
> > on win2k all the time. Have you tried that?
>
> Ahhh, I was unaware of that. I'd been relying on this documentation from
> Microsoft (which I found again minutes after posting, *sigh* ), which
> describes the w2k resolver cache's affect on round robin records, and
> outlines a registry hack to get around it:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q245437
>
> No mention of 'net stop dnscache' there. Thanks a lot, Microsoft.
>
> -Pete

Under the "Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services" menu,
I see a service called "DNS Client" with the following description:
"Resolves and caches Domain Name System (DNS) names."

When I turn this service off and set its property from "Automatic" to
"Manual" (to prevent the service from restarting at the next reboot),
Win2K is still able to resolve names.  My guess is that this is the
GUI equivalent to the 'net stop dnscache' command.

Andris