Win2k caches ip addr. after name resolution from dns?

Tim Maestas tmaestas at dnsconsultants.com
Tue Sep 25 05:36:59 UTC 2001

	Win2k has a (horribly broken) caching client resolver.  If
	you are dealing with straight A records (no cnames) then it
	will cache the record for the life of the TTL attached
	to that record.  This is at the OS level.  There are a couple
	bugs that come along with CNAMES in relation to how Win2k
	caches the records that I will not go into here (it's in
	the archives somewhere)

	IE itself caches DNS responses as well.  Depending on your
	version, the cache time can range from 30 minutes to
	2 hours.  I don't know that this behaviour is configurable.

-Tim