Local domain appended to 2 domains only

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Thu Sep 13 19:39:58 UTC 2001

>    Hmmm, an 'nslookup www.aesdirect.gov' querying each of its
> namservers directly works just fine. It seems that returning the
> nameservers of aesdirect.gov from the root nameservers is the
> non-functional part. I have IP connectivity to all root name servers
> and it does not appear that aesdirect.gov's delegation is wrong or out
> of date.

Could there be another configuration problem on your
name server?  Do you have a root hints file?

Also, in the original output you posted, your name server
logged "req_query: policy_name = www."  I don't think
that's a standard log message.  If I remember correctly,
it's a debug message added as part of Todd Aven's
noforward patch.  What version of BIND is this?  Is it, in
fact, some weird, patched version?  Did you try to apply
his patch to BIND 8?

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services