Local domain appended to 2 domains only

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Sep 12 21:10:42 UTC 2001

In article <9noipn$i6c at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Christohper J. Wargaski <cjw at rmsbus.com> wrote:

>The oddest thing. I upgraded the Internet connection and changed ISPs
>at the same time. Hostname resolution for www.schwab.com now works,
>but still fails for www.aesdirect.gov.
>
>   An 'nslookup -deb www.aesdirect.gov' from the system running BIND
>returns the following (only last few lines shown):

The last few lines aren't the interesting ones.  Did it first try to look
up www.aesdirect.gov (without the local domain appended), fail, and then
try it with the domain appended?  If so, you need to diagnose why the first
lookup failed.  Appending the local domain is normal when that happens.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA