Local domain appended to 2 domains only

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Sep 13 19:56:30 UTC 2001

In article <9nr1ps$20v at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Christohper J. Wargaski <cjw at rmsbus.com> wrote:
>Name Server:  barney.localdomain.com
>Address:  192.168.10.11
>
>Trying DNS
>;; res_mkquery(0, www.aesdirect.gov, 1, 1)
>timeout
>------------
>Got answer:
>    HEADER:
>        opcode = QUERY, id = 2774, rcode = SERVFAIL
>        header flags:  response, want recursion, recursion avail.
>        questions = 1,  answers = 0,  authority records = 0,
>additional = 0
>
>    QUESTIONS:
>        www.aesdirect.gov, type = A, class = IN
>
> ===========
>
>   And then I have www.aesdirect.gov.localdomain.com returned.
>
>> If so, you need to diagnose why the first lookup failed.  Appending the
>> local domain is normal when that happens
>
>   Hmmm, an 'nslookup www.aesdirect.gov' querying each of its
>namservers directly works just fine. It seems that returning the
>nameservers of aesdirect.gov from the root nameservers is the
>non-functional part. I have IP connectivity to all root name servers
>and it does not appear that aesdirect.gov's delegation is wrong or out
>of date.

Did you do those directed nslookups from your workstation or from the
nameserver (barney)?  It appears that barney is having trouble
communicating with aesdirect.gov's nameservers.

As a next step in troubleshooting, you could turn on named tracing on
barney, and see what's happening when it tries to process these queries.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA