intermittent resolving errors

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 16 22:21:26 UTC 2001

Kelly Scroggins wrote:

> My internal name server (bind 8.x on Linux) is
> resolving names intermittently.  Sometimes I can
> run an nslookup on a Internet server such as
> www.yahoo.com, or www.google.com and it will
> return an error.  Then another try will return the
> correct information.

Don't even bother trying to diagnose DNS problems with Microsoft
nslookup - wrong tool for the job, use dig.

If BIND was really getting an NXDOMAIN for these domains it
would cache it (Okay not for very long if it got the answer from
the right servers, but if it got their it would get the right
answer), so retrying shouldn't help.

Which make me think something basic is going wrong, post the
named.conf, resolv.conf, and the Windows client DNS server list
(winipcfg or ipconfig will show this with prompting). I'm
betting your client boxes configuration could be the problem.