intermittent resolving errors

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 18 12:56:01 UTC 2001

Petr Soucek wrote:

> Kelly Scroggins wrote:
> >
> > My internal name server (bind 8.x on Linux) is
> > resolving names intermittently.  Sometimes I can
> > run an nslookup on a Internet server such as
> > www.yahoo.com, or www.google.com and it will
> > return an error.  Then another try will return the
> > correct information.
> >

> I've experienced the same problem starting November 5th with www.yahoo.com, it seems the
> problem is with Akamai DNS servers.
>
> This is log form our two nameservers, both running bind 8.2.2 on Linux:

Surely you upgraded after the CERT advisory?

Google isn't Akamaised - least ways www.google.net isn't a CNAME
to an Akamai server like Yahoo is - so that would only explain
half of it even if it were the problem.

www.yahoo.com looks fine from here, but then with Akamai that
may not mean much.

> Nov  7 13:07:54 ns1 named[422]: default: info: sysquery: query(rtn1.grp.snv.yahoo.com) All
> possible A RR's lame

Okay this query is not Akamaised either, but answered by the
Yahoo nameservers, as are some of the others listed - so it
looks like you saw a problem accessing the Yahoo servers (or
they've had a big change around recently).

I'm tempted to think this was a local difficulty unless others
saw this as well?

I have maillogs showing successful Yahoo delivery throughout the
period, with no complaints of lameness in the BIND logs (For
Yahoo), and I follow up the lameness complaints - at least with
people who should know better.

 Simon