Handling unknown record types(AAAA) by BIND.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Mar 27 00:45:40 UTC 2001

Pawel Rogocz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> could somebody point me to an authoritative source of what should be the
> behavior of a name server, when it gets a query for a record in a zone
> it is authoritative for, but the data type is unknown. To be more
> specific, what kind of answer should you expect sending a query of type
> AAAA, to a server which is not configured with any AAAA type data, but it
> has some other, let's say CNAME or NS data for the record you are quering
> for. An RFC number would be great.

There's an Internet-Draft
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-unknown-rrs-00.txt) addressing
this. I don't think it has RFC status yet.

Note that even within that draft, implementations could always just "play it
safe" and decline recursion for unknown QTYPEs, returning a referral or just
a bare CNAME, as the case may be. At least then they could avoid the awkward
position of generating a query for a type they know nothing about...

- Kevin