named and in.named

Matthew Noble matthew.noble at ntli.net
Thu Jul 26 14:09:34 UTC 2001

<snip>

> If you want your nameserver daemon to be consistent with all of your
> startup scripts, etc. then make sure to install it as
> /usr/sbin/in.named. Note that named-xfer doesn't get an "in." prefix
> because it's not a daemon.

Overwriting the system default version of in.named (or any of the other system binaries) with a custom version is a very bad idea. If you ever patch the server (which is generally a good idea) then this is likely to overwrite your custom version of the binary with an older/different version which may have bugs or different functionally.

You would be much better of installing named in somewhere completly different (/usr/local would be a good choice) - it won't get overwritten when patching then and will be fairly obvious to anyone who administers the system in the futur. Additionally you probably don't want to install the named.conf file in /etc, the standard init scripts check for the presence of this file and will start in.named if they find it - you could remove in.named but then it's likely to be replaced if you patch the system.

The DNS servers I currently administer have named installed in /data/bind.version (/data being our conventional place for any additional system applications) whith bind.version being a symlink to /data/bind. Any zone files or config files are kept in /data/namedb. This makes in nice and easy to upgrade bind as we can complie the new version and install in /data/bind.newversion, change the symlink and restart named - nice and simple with no messing around

Matt