named and in.named

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jul 25 20:57:25 UTC 2001

Sun's naming standard is to prefix all Internet daemons with "in.". Do a
"ls /usr/sbin/in.*" to see what I mean. As part of the same naming
convention, all RPC-based servers are suposed to be prefixed with "rpc."
(e.g. rpc.bootparamd, rpc.rexd and so forth). They are not particularly
consistent about the latter part: none of the stuff in /usr/lib/nfs is
prefixed with "rpc." even though NFS is RPC-based. Nor is "rpcbind" (the
portmapper) itself prefixed with either "in." or "rpc.". Oh well, that's
Sun for you...

If you want your nameserver daemon to be consistent with all of your
startup scripts, etc. then make sure to install it as
/usr/sbin/in.named. Note that named-xfer doesn't get an "in." prefix
because it's not a daemon.

- Kevin