named and in.named

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jul 25 21:02:41 UTC 2001

Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 6:25 PM -0700 7/24/01, Tony wrote:
>
> >  Is named and in.named the same?
>
>         Yup.  Solaris just calls theirs by a weird name.
>
> >  I am running solaris 8 and  I dont find named anywhere.
> >
> >  there is in.named under /usr/sbin
> >
> >  in.named BIND 8.2.2-P5 Thu Jan  4 20:36:53 PST 2001
> >          Generic 109327-02-5.8-February 2000
>
>         You need to upgrade to at least 8.2.3, preferably at least 8.2.4
> because the version you are running leaves you wide open to a root
> compromise.

That's not necessarily true. Sometimes Sun issues security patches for things
like BIND that don't change the version number. You have to check the
patchlevel to really know.

Having said that, I seem to recall that Sun _recently_ came out with a
security patch for the vulnerabilities announced in January. If so, then a
patchlevel dating back to February is probably *not* secure. Check Sunsolve

- Kevin