difficult problem with DNS and Mail

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jul 20 23:33:45 UTC 2001

This is really more of a mail server question than a DNS question. In DNS terms,
your mail (MX record) would be pointed to fubar. Then fubar would forward the
mail to tao through the firewall. If fubar is also being used for outbound mail,
then you'd probably want to go with a "mailhub" type of sendmail configuration,
i.e. where all "local" addresses are forwarded to some other box. I'm not really
up-to-date on how to do that, since we've had separate servers for inbound and
outbound mail for a number of years, and that's a somewhat different
configuration...

- Kevin