difficult problem with DNS and Mail

Gary Kline kline at ns1.thought.org
Fri Jul 20 22:41:20 UTC 2001

   When I went live on the net with my ISDL link, security was a
   primary issue.  Previously, with my 24*7 PPP connection thru
   work, I was behind their firewall.

   It took me awhile to set up my DNS here, the `BIND AND DNS' book
   was|is great, and I'm going to buy the new edition that covers
   BIND9.  But that may not answer the question I have now.

   I have set up a separate machine that will be my DNS and Mail
   link.  My ISP alloted me 4 IP's, X.Y.Z.248-251.  The new machine
   plugs into my router as fubar.thought.org, 216.39.168.249, and
   reaches the net, no problem.  *This* box, tao.thought.org, (248)
   is currently  serving everything.  DNS, Mail, and web.

   I want to have FUBAR be my gateway and put TAO behind a firewall.
   (I'll set securelevel=2 on fubar, so even if somebody cracks it,
   he won't get far.)

   Eventually, I'll go back  to my 10/100Mb hub and NIC's; but for now
   my questions are:: how to set up fubar as a gateway; and how to
   have fubar route everything, including mail, here.  (Sorry if sendmail
   is OT.)

   thanks for any insights!

   gary

--