difficult problem with DNS and Mail

Gary Kline kline at ns1.thought.org
Sat Jul 21 01:35:43 UTC 2001

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 07:33:45PM -0400, Kevin Darcy wrote:

> This is really more of a mail server question than a DNS question. In DNS terms,
> your mail (MX record) would be pointed to fubar. Then fubar would forward the
> mail to tao through the firewall. If fubar is also being used for outbound mail,
> then you'd probably want to go with a "mailhub" type of sendmail configuration,
> i.e. where all "local" addresses are forwarded to some other box. I'm not really
> up-to-date on how to do that, since we've had separate servers for inbound and
> outbound mail for a number of years, and that's a somewhat different
> configuration...

	Hm...  One thing I'm wondering about is: wwould I have to
	bother switching my interNIC  registery?   It might be
	vastly simpler to make *this* (TAO) 249 and FUBAR 248;
	then FUBAR  could be my new NS1.THOUGHT.ORG as it is
	currently in Network Services' records.

	Any pointers to the `mailhub' config would be welcome.
	DNS AND BIND reads like a novel ;  the big blue sendmail
	tome gives me the shivers :-)/2.

	thanks for your mail,
	gary

--