bind 9.1.1 - sample needed

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jul 13 18:29:24 UTC 2001

Kevin at nowhere.invalid wrote:

> Le 10 Jul 2001 14:39:16 -0700, Kevin Darcy a ecrit:
> |> |
> |> |
> |> ok, how?
> |
> | zone "." {    type master;
> |     file "root";
> | };
> |
> | Just put in an SOA record, NS records, and delegations, like any other
> | master file.
>
> can you give me a hint? I'm writing some crap which doesn't work.

Here's a prototype of a simple root master file:

$TTL 1D
ns1.internal-root.example.com. a 1.2.3.4
ns2.internal-root.example.com. a 2.3.4.5
@      soa ns1.internal-root.example.com. root.example.com. (
             2001071301
                     1D
                     1H
                     7D
                     1D
       )
       ns      ns1.internal-root.example.com.
       ns      ns2.internal-root.example.com.

Note that this is a "skeletal" root master file. You'd need to add
delegations (at the very least) for it to be useful.

Note also that you have to provide A records for the root nameservers. From
the root zone, *every* delegated nameserver needs a glue record.

Lastly, note that dot-terminating names is technically *optional* in a root
zone file. But it's a good habit to get into anyway...

> | All of your other internal nameservers, besides the root master,
> | would either be
> | slaves, or would use a hints file pointing to your root servers.
> |
> ok.
> If I understand good, the resolution begins by searching rootservers
> (for the final . in fact)
> and then climb down the name: tux. then local.tux. and then
> debian.local.tux.
> It's like that? So my named should know . *and* tux. *and* local.tux.
>
> so must I write files for:
> zone "tux." {
>         type master;
>         file "tux";
> };
>
> and for local.tux. ?

No, you could skip levels if you wanted, e.g. you could delegate local.tux
directly from the root zone.

For that matter, you could put *everything* into the root zone.

- Kevin