bind 9.1.1 - sample needed

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jul 10 21:26:35 UTC 2001

Kevin at nowhere.invalid wrote:

> Le 9 Jul 2001 18:20:25 -0700, Kevin Darcy a ecrit:
> |
> | You told named to load the "localhost" zone from a file called
> | "named.local", but
> | you show the contents of a file called "localhost", and that's presumably what
> | you checked with named-checkzone as well. What's in "named.local"?
> |
> the same. I made too much test :/
> I cleaned up /var/named/*
> I gave the good names to the good files.
> but I still have the error.
> [root at slackware:~]# named-checkzone /var/named/named.local

Actually, come to think of it, shouldn't you be saying "named-checkzone localhost
/var/named/named.local"?named-checkzone needs to know what the name of the zone is,
otherwise how can it verify that the contents are correct when you have
"$ORIGIN" statements in the file?

> dns_master_load: /var/named/named.local:3: ignoring out-of-zone data (localhost)
> dns_zone_load: zone /var/named/named.local/IN: could not find NS and/or \
>                                                                 SOA records
> dns_zone_load: zone /var/named/named.local/IN: has 0 SOA records
> dns_zone_load: zone /var/named/named.local/IN: no NS records
>
> | As for the problem resolving debian.local.tux, I suspect that named is
> | stuck in
> | "eternal priming" because you haven't defined a root zone, and it
> | can't reach the
> | Internet nameservers (not surprising, since you're on a 192.168.*.*
> | address) which are configured as internal defaults when no root zone is
> | explicitly defined.
> |
> | If you're on a totally private network, you need to set up your own
> | internal root
> | zone.
> |
> ok, how?

zone "." {    type master;
    file "root";
};

Just put in an SOA record, NS records, and delegations, like any other master file.
All of your other internal nameservers, besides the root master, would either be
slaves, or would use a hints file pointing to your root servers.

- Kevin