Yet about bind compilation.

James A Griffin agriffin at cpcug.org
Fri Jul 13 13:34:33 UTC 2001

Rafael da Rosa Righi wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>         I try to recompiling bind ( in AIX 4) and the binary length
> was very big again. I remove the option -g ( DEGUB ) and
> other things.

The default install (make install) does not 'strip' the executables.
'strip' removes symbols from the file.  For example:
-rwxrwxr-x    2 artch    artch     1598436 Jul 13 08:53 named
-rwxrwxr-x    1 artch    artch     4666575 Jul 13 08:53 named.unstrip

See 'man strip' for more information.

>         There are some Makefiles in the  directories of souce
> code. I find one makefile in lib ( a subdirectory of souce code )
> and in this, in my opinion, the lib are made statics.
>         The questions are : How can I compiling bind to use shared
> libraries?

You can specify which type (shared or static) that you want when you run
'./configure'.
Try './configure --help | more' for some information on options.  I do
not understand them all myself; especially these:

  --with-libtool        use GNU libtool (following indented options
supported)
    --enable-shared[=PKGS]  build shared libraries [default=yes]
    --enable-static[=PKGS]  build static libraries [default=yes]
    --enable-fast-install[=PKGS]  optimize for fast installation
[default=yes]

Mark, could you or someone else, explain how to properly use these
options.  (TIA)

Regards,
Jim

[snip]