making queries - while restarting bind - possible ?

michab bind-mail at gmx.de
Mon Jul 2 13:30:11 UTC 2001

>At 9:52 AM +0200 7/2/01, michab wrote:
>
>> in fact you´r right, but the special thing is, that we are working with the
>> DE-NIC, the german registrar for de-domains.... this one is asking
>> our NS permanently - so that´s not the solution, haveing more NS....
>> for the user who makes queries will this be an option... but not for the
>> registrar -  we need our PRIMARY UP 100% ---- also when it´s reloading
>> many zones... that´s still the problem ;(
>
>    First off, the registrar should not be requiring any one server
>be up 100% of the time.  Not even they can meet that requirement.
>Moreover, not even the root nameservers nor the gTLD or ccTLD
>nameservers can meet that requirement -- why do you think we have
>thirteen of them?!?

yes okay okay... that´s all right...  but let´s keep this out of mind...
we have a system working here, that would be perfect, if the NS(primary)
would be UP 100%... anyway how many secondaries there are...
please notice...  the destination in *NOT* keeping a zone alive....
for any queries...

the destination is *ONLY* (sorry, for me in this case) keeping the primary
NS alive for queries, doesn´t matter how many secondaries there are...

i know this sounds a little bit strange but in my eyes this is a very
important question. the system of DNS is not construed for only one NS,
but this is not the qeustion here.. sorry ;-))

>    What they can reasonably require is that your zone(s) be
>available from at least two nameservers (preferably on different
>networks, etc...) so that if one of them goes down, the zone(s) will
>continue to get served by the other.

>    In addition, if you're using a standard multi-threaded version of
>BIND 9, the server should be answering queries as the zones are in
>the process of being loaded.  Obviously, it can't answer queries for
>a zone that is not yet loaded, but for the ones that have been loaded
>so far, it should answer just fine.

yes.. that´s my problem.. i only heard, that it should. ;).. but my tests said something
other.... guess u have 2 servers in a privat network... 10.10.0.1 and 10.10.0.2...
0.1 has 5000 zones loaded.... 0.2 is making queries .. -> NO PROBLEM
let´s say 0.1 has the zone "test.com" loaded... dig @10.10.0.1 test.com  -> no prob....

now i change my named.conf (adding 50.000 zones)... and i make an
rndc reconfig -> bind starts loading the "other" 50.000 zones...

_IN THIS TIME_ i start a query from 0.2 for test.com -> NO ANSWERE !

i know that your argumantation is right, saying that´s why there are secondaries,
but if you say that it´s  possible what i am trying...PLEASE tell me how ...;)

>    I'm still convinced that the more zones you have, the more you
>really *need* the kind of robust secondary nameservice offered by
>Nominum via their GNS platform.  See
><http://www.nominum.com/services/gns/index.html> for more information.

is there a way how i can test, if my bind is compiled "multi-threaded" ???

thx a lot for your efforts !!!
micha
-- michab, bind-mail at gmx.de on 02.07.2001