making queries - while restarting bind - possible ?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 2 12:40:10 UTC 2001

Brad Knowles wrote:

>         In addition, if you're using a standard multi-threaded version of
> BIND 9, the server should be answering queries as the zones are in
> the process of being loaded.

Urm he said Suse Linux 7 and 9.2.

I think the configure in 9.2 assumes you will have no
threads so it can run with "-u named" if you have Linux, and
you need to specify that you want threads to configure.
Could that be the source of confusion?!

Urm for this kind of heavyweight DNS work on Linux a 2.4
kernel is probably a good bet as this allows "-u" and
threading (And actually works better than other Unix's in
regard of certain activities according to some wonderful
Linux related discussion I had with Nominum over what "rndc
reload" can and can't do if named runs as a non-root user).

Urm 9.2.0a2 is an alpha release - probably not a good choice
if you need 100% availability - but hey someone has to test
it, and it "kind of" works for me.

	Simon
--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ?
www.eighth-layer.com